Wednesday, January 10, 2007

1) IDIOT-SCUMBAG-DON’T-KNOW-THEIR-ASS-FROM-THEIR-ELBOW WRITERS.

Ok, now let me make this clear, there are decent journalist and writers here in Pakistan. People who are actually good critics, know their content and more importantly have a solid writing style. I also don't claim to be an authority on good journalism but at least I have a degree in it. Please read the below article.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\01\09\story_9-1-2007_pg12_9

Now if you are far too lazy to read the entire article….

Let me give you a background. This past Sunday, when Falak finally did decide to perform, they asked us to open again for them. Now I had to go out of town, while OK had just come back in town. So the guys who ended up performing were NOT ADP but Lodhi, Yasir and Sibtain (our aforementioned buddy). This is what the “Staff Reporter” for Daily Times wrote.

"Sunday's gig was opened by a local group called "Aunty Disco Project" (ADP). The choice of opening band was surprising to say the least, because ADP had nothing whatsoever to do with metal or hard rock, and if the performance at Basement Café was anything to go by, the band has a very, VERY long way to go before achieving even the remotest levels of acceptability. What does go in its favour, however, is the fact that it has a very good tabla player. Maybe they should use him more often, rather than relying on the vocalist belting out country numbers to get the crowd moving."

Apart from referring to the band as “it” rather than “they” I am just disappointed at this writers' sneering dismissal and plain laziness when checking the facts. It was NOT Aunty Disco Project performing. It was members of Aunty Disco Project performing with Sibtain who is NOT our lead singer and the country song he did was in fact a joke song. Now I’m glad he/she had good things to say about Yasir, but why the hell would someone use a darbuka instead of a lead vocalist and try to sing songs? Last time I checked a darbuka was not the ideal instrument to enunciate “Been a long time since I rock and rolled”. And then they called it a tabla.

If he/she had just bothered to ask a couple of more questions rather than stapling their lips to Falak’s butt we might have had a decent article. But this is what I see here, there is no constructive criticism, only butt-kissing or complete dissing.

I apologize if I sound petty or bitter. I haven’t heard Falak so I don’t know if they are good or not. I don’t mind if someone criticizes us or just plain hates our music, everyone has their own taste. But I am livid at how a tiny bit of sloppy journalism can tarnish somebody’s reputation.

(P.S: This is how you can comment if blogger is being a pain - thanks to Khizzy of Cloud Khizzy fame for sharing this with me!

click the comment button,
then in the link space, you get this:
http://www.inblogs.net/files.php?file=http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=10958515&postID=116652043886102886

get rid of this bit:
http://www.inblogs.net/files.php?file=

and re-load. Ta daaa)



5 Comments:

Blogger omar said...

yoooo - all publicity if good publicity - dont worry about it - what that dude wrote was misguided.

chalta hai - just find out his name and bumjack him outside the magazine office

8:28 PM  
Anonymous a fan said...

well yea wot tht journalist wrote wuz stoopid n irresponsible and u being angry is justified but ummm u hafta realise tht he got the impression tht he was lissenin to ADP... the band shud not haf been introduced as ADP in the first place i guess.... the band is now becumin popular by the day so u hafta take care of each n every step u take...oh by the way BIG fan of ur voice :) mashaAllah

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Falak said...

We're sorry about the mix up at the gig, and the resultant review. As the band was introduced as ADB we didn't know any better at the time. Our website is currently facing some wierd technical issues. But as soon as possible, we'll be sure to do our best to clarify the misunderstanding by posting something on our website (though we realize we can do little about the review you're justifiably pissed off about). We look forward to burning down the house with all of you next time!

In solidarity,

Falak

www.falak.ca

www.myspace.com/falaknation

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Urooj Zia said...

Whoopsie! :D I'm the "Staff Reporter" who wrote the Falak waala piece. I was told that the opening band is ADP, and I was all pumped up and wanted to talk to them. The performance, however, was horrendous, and ticked me off no end.. Apologies for the misunderstanding, though! I'll add your bit to my post on KMB.. : )

PS: I'm not a dude, I'm a dudette!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Urooj Zia said...

There you go: http://karachi.metblogs.com/archives/2007/03/sounds_of_the_u.phtml

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home