Monday, November 03, 2008

THE ADP DIARIES 2.0

It is really difficult for me to start this blog again. The last entry I made was well over 6 months ago, and in that time so much has happened, with me personally as well as ADP. I kept putting it off because I wanted to start afresh with ADP's new video, and our re-launch into public consciousness, I kept putting it off, and in the middle I went to Hong Kong/China/Japan for a two month internship, which deserves a separate blog on its own. After isolating myself from everyone for 2 months, I came on Eid and ADP launched “Nazar” and suddenly we're back in the news. It's a giddy time for us, although we never really left, it feels like a comeback. I was overwhelmed by all the things I wanted to blog about, so I'm going to try and get them all in, one bit at a time. I know I've probably lost a lot of readers, but hopefully, theres a fresh batch of people googling “Aunty Disco Project” for the first time and stumbling across my megalomaniacal rantings.

Hello. I'm Omar. I'm still the struggling frontman of a struggling Pakistani rock band called Aunty Disco Project.

We're down one Aunty, officially.

Imran Lodhi isn't with ADP anymore. Now I just wanted to take a moment to shed a little light on the subject because there have been a whole bunch of rumors floating around, some of them are pretty nasty. Imran left to complete his education in Canada in February. Now initially it was with the understanding that Imran would always be a part of ADP, and frankly ADP had always been Omar, Omar, Imran and Yasir, I couldn't imagine us as a whole without the four of us. I think we're one of the few bands that actively promotes each individual in the band with a separate identity, and it's not all about the lead singer or whoever is out in front. But as is usually the case with distance, you begin to get a clearer picture of your relationship with someone when you are away from them.

I think the other guys in the band will tell you grudgingly that no one in the band fought more than Imran and I, but it was almost never musically. On stage, Imran and I were in perfect sync, we had an almost psychic understanding of each other and we could just look across the stage and anticipate the next move together. A friend of mine put it best when he said that Imran and my relationship was like a marriage where the sex was great but we didn't have much in common other than that. While thats a little harsh, its a crudely accurate way of looking at it. Imran and I disagreed mostly with the business side of things, budgets for videos, where to record our albums, how to release our singles, how much to charge etc. Thats pretty sad because a band shouldn't have to deal with that stuff, we should be focusing on writing songs and performing and having a good manager take care of the rest. But my control freak leader mentality always clashed with Imran's laid back approach and I think thats what gave way to rumors that we couldn't stand each other.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Imran's my brother and I love him to pieces and there were countless more times where we'd be laughing rather than arguing. He was and still is an exceptionally gifted songwriter and guitarist and there were moments where I was in awe of his ability. In front of Imran, I felt like a labourer, struggling to write a good tune whereas Imran would have a hit up his sleeve within a week, a true artist.

Even though we had our issues, there is no doubt in my mind that we could have continued together in ADP and done great things together. But with him over there, and us over here, there needed to be a clean break so that both of us could move forward. So Imran is out there with his own band and he's making his own music, most of which is really fantastic, you can check it out here and here.

For the three of us still in this thing, it's been a kind of reincarnation. The video has given us a shot at re-establishing ourselves and re-inventing ourselves. And this time, we'll do things better.

So what's the deal with Ali Alam Anyway?

Ali hasn't officially joined ADP yet. But he has an open invitation to do so. When Imran left and Ali stepped in to help us play live, he was adamant that he didn't want to come in as long as we still considered Imran part of the band, which was understandable because nobody wants to be forced into the awkward position of committing to someone and then stepping back when the original returns. We were loathe to officially declare Imran as not part of ADP because of our "lifetime membership" mentality. But now that it's kind of official, Ali hasn't decided.

You have to keep in mind that Ali has his own songs that he wants to record and release, not necessarily as a part of ADP, because he's got an individual fan following and an individual identity as an artist. So we can respect that. Also Ali isn't the sort of musician who would be a part of something and not have an opinion or degree of control in it, and given the Nazi-esque manner in which I run in the band, a lot of things would have to change.

Having said all that, Ali knows all our songs and he's our first choice to play live with. So at least we won't lose out there. I just feel that having him in our band would be something really exciting. He's an incredible songwriter and our sense of song is pretty similar. We even co-wrote a song and the result was pretty good. It would also be kind of nice to have another guy in the band whose willing to take on some of my responsibilities so I can focus on songwriting. He's way more experienced at this whole music industry thing than we are so it wouldn't hurt us to listen to him. But at the end of the day, joining full time is his decision and we'll go on without any hard feelings if he chooses to stay out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Khizzy said...

welcome back to the blogroll.
you've earned it.
lol.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home