Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Secret ADP Show for Architects

There's been a bunch of speculation as to who we are going to find as a replacement for Lodhi. Let me make clear that we can't really replace Lodhi, but we can go with someone in a different direction. So we decided to stay close to home and guest with our friend Ali Alam.

Now if you guys don't know Ali Alam, he is one of the old school underground rockers of Karachi, having been a part of what I like to call the "Cafe Blue" era, which was a time in the 90's when all these incredible musicians like Gumby, Aamir Zaki, Assad Ahmed, Ganda Banda and The 3-D Cats got together at Cafe Blue to jam. I remember going there as a teenager and being in complete awe of the performers. So it's kinda trippy to be playing with Ali, the former frontman of Ganda Banda, because he belongs to a group of people Lodhi and I idolized when we were just starting out.

As our first performance post-Lodhi, we're playing a gig at Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture (IVSAA) as entertainment for the Institute of Architects of Pakistan (IAP), this Sunday at around 10:30. Unfortunately it is not open to the general public, because its basically an Indus Valley event so only IAP members and students of IVSAA can attend, I think tickets are Rs. 100.

I have mixed feelings about this show. We're getting paid a decent amount, after being paid for this show, ADP will finally be out of debt, for the first time since we started 2 years ago, we will actually make money off something. So thats a plus. But the I'm told the crowd will basically be a whole bunch of old people who really are not your rock'n'roll types. The last couple of people who played for IAP were Tina Sani, Ghulam Ali and Mekaal Hassan Band, who was apparently disgusted with the crowd response. I guess this year there entertainment budget got slashed, so it was either us or a bandar-wallah from Seaview.

So I'm expecting crickets chirping during our set. I can only hope that some students get in so we can have some support. Plus its a low key way to get back on track with a new band member so maybe its good that we're not doing a huge publc show straight up.

But I can tell you this, I'm excited about performing with Ali. The band is sounding tight and energetic, and we really like Ali's songs which we've added to our setlist. It'll be a nice change for us so things should be good. Anyway, I know people have been waiting for a proper ADP show and I promise I am planning something big for the end of March, I can't give you details yet, but if i can pull it off, it is going to be...perfection.

3 Comments:

Blogger Atta Khan said...

i hope this end-of-march-adp-gig ure talking about is some kick ass show with kool pyros and strippers like the ones rammstein have in their shows!!!!!
it'll be awesome, imagine, u pop into the Sheher KE Ansoon solo with a huge ass flame roaring behind ure head, NOT TOO CLOSE THOUGH, u dont wanna end up like michael jakson or james hetfield!
and for Sultanat u can have kool strippers wearing those red, leather, miniscirts and with whips in their hands..........ITS GONNA LOOK FUKING AWESOME!!!!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Ahsan said...

OH MY GOD i can't wait, i'm such a huge fan, this is going to be amazing, oh my god i can't breathe, best day ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Omar said...

Atta: Strippers these days are expensive. With our budget we can only get a couple of hijras. I hope this will do.

Ahsan: Haha... I love you too dude, nice to know you took a break from politicking to comment on my self-absorbed rantfest!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home