Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Countdown to Coke Studio Begins....

Finally...after months of waiting....we're...gonna have to wait a little more...but we will be appearing on the next episode of Coke Studio that airs Sunday July 4th, 2010 at 10pm Pakistan time. Here's the promo!



Pretty exciting isn't it! We seem to be the only male artists on a girls night out...(with the exception of Arieb Azhar of course). It's pretty thrilling to be on the same program as Abida Parveen, Tina Sani, Sanam Marvi and Arieb. I'm really looking forward to Meesha's next performance, she seems to be the breakout star of this season's Coke Studio and rightly so, the few seconds of "Chori Chori" in the promo are spine-tingling...

The lead up has been excruciatingly nerve-wracking. I've been obsessively trolling comments on the Coke Studio facebook page and on youtube and twitter. I know it's bad for me but I can't help it. People have already started commenting on ADP without hearing a note we've played.

How are we going to do?

Honestly, it could go either way. Not a lot of people know who we are, so the good thing is there aren't too many pre-conceived opinions about us. People don't expect much from us. I think the extremely high expectations people had of the other artists featured in the previous two episodes led to some dissappointment and heavy critiquing. I ,for one, thought some of the reactions were pretty extreme. People expect to be wowed immediately upon viewing a song from Coke Studio, but these are the kind of songs that grow on you slowly. you have to download them and listen to them a couple of times before you get what they're all about. And of course you don't HAVE to like them. Everyone's got their own taste and opinions but the kind of fanatical comments I've been seeing on the internet are more than stupid. At the end of the day, it's really just music.

On the other hand, it's kind of touching to see how much Coke Studio means to so many people for them to be so extreme in their emotional reactions. I never really realized how massive the whole thing is. In many ways, its good that we Pakistanis can enjoy the luxury of debating on a musical program that has such mass appeal. It's the one thing everyone talks about the day after an episode airs. It's like cricket. It's bringing the nation together, invoking strong emotions and getting an opinion from almost everybody.

Which is why, it's slightly terrifying waiting for our episode to air. I've been advised to stay away from all media the day after it airs. But I know I won't be able to. I think our performance on the show was solid and had a lot of excitement, so at the very least I don't think it'll be boring. But I know it won't be for everyone. So far, the bands on Coke Studio, Karavan and EP have gotten the most criticism and so following that trend, we're next in line to get trashed. I'm bracing myself for that.

But for us and our fans, I think it's going to be something really special. We've put our heart and soul into this performance and I think it'll show. We've tried to be original and energetic and hopefully people will appreciate it.

So sit tight, there's only 10 days left......

14 Comments:

Blogger Dee.Dee said...

It's intriguing to know what's going on at the back of an artist's mind right before a major air.

Totally looking forward.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous sadsid said...

another important factor is lineup. if Karavan's turn had been right at the start , i dont think it wud hav sounded as bad as it did. i mean seriously placing them after Abida Parveen, bad idea.

EP had really bad vocals, the dude cudnt sing at all, which reflects that maybe EP isnt really a 'practicing' band.

from the promo it looks like Sultanat will be played right after Abida Parveen. cud go either ways.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous I Come In Fleece said...

WTF? Why didn't people like Karavan? I thought the singer was good and so was the band, it was a decent surprise, he represented a proper Paki rock singer [not overdoing the urdu accent, not overdoing the western accent unlike EP's front dude, that was horrible]

Oh, and a general complaint with Coke Studio's setup is the lack of solos [instruments] because I am sick of the way audiences perceive music. They need to be taught that all the music playing behind the singer is all individual talent, and not to be discredited as easily as those "musicians" you see in Pakistani pop live performances [yeah, i'm talking about the types acting like they're all into it with a disconnected electric guitar]

Also, ADP, I'm really hoping your performance is good, but even if it's not "good" by a universal standard, it's nothing to cry over, because if like minded people discover and enjoy your stuff, then the purpose is served.

Peace

6:30 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Hey ODA, looks like a child is just about to go on to the stage for the very first time:) Dude chill out. If people complain about Karavan its coz they have been around ever since I stopped wearing diapers lol. For you, things are different. It's like WOW that underground band played with SUCH confidence at the coke studio and its not like AHH they r no longer kool they need to quit music!

7:48 PM  
Blogger bill said...

OBA*

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I just stalked you on facebook :O

I can't wait for your performance btw. I was coming out of a supermarket and I saw the billboard with Coke studio and ADP written, I started jumping up and down :D. The people outside thought I had gone mad :D

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

written on it*

2:47 AM  
Blogger Moonie said...

i absolutely cant wait. ive never been into coke studio laikin ever since i heard you guys are in this year, ive been like watching every episode and all. you guys are the best.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Quite enjoy commenting on coke studio performances right after or later and reading them myself. It connects so many people and in that its a great thing.
Urm its not THAT close to being cricket YETthinking about the usual abuses and insults the cricketers get) tho I don't doubt we'll be getting there soon. After seeing peoples reactions on youtube videos, twitter, fb I think the avg paki youth just has a lot to say (yeh including me) and not much head for the correctness of their opinions (workin on tht one):P:) so perhaps its not so much as a critique on the artists themselves just a collective need to rant about SOMETHING anything:D
That said, be prepared for all the comments. The best for someone in your position is I'd say to steer clear of thm:s only yesterday i read a quote "Creativity is an act of courage, steer clear of opinions"-Coelho:)

4:20 AM  
Blogger Roshni said...

Personally I think cokestudio is all about versatility so there's bound to be performances that one person likes that the other may not... With that said, I think alot of the reaction from the awaam is based on thier expectations so if they don't like it in the first listen, not many are likely to go back to give it another listen...which is a shame because I totally agree with you when you say "these kinda songs grow on you"..
Kher...looking forward to what ADP has to offer =P -gringrin-

4:43 AM  
Blogger M. said...

Hey, it looks good from the promo :)

Think of it this way, you cant possibly do worse than E.P :)

Goodluck.

1:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought CS 2 was bad but CS 3 is the worst. Rohail Hyat's creativity is almost over and it seems like he isnt that creative as we all thought. CS is turning out to be Hype only.

CS 1 was a better because of the creative input of the Musicians i.e Ali Azmat, Strings etc

CS 2 was bad because Rohail's input was involved but the musicians had something to do with their tracks so it sounded decent.

CS 3 is the worst because Rohail is playing "I am the Best in Pakistan" game and making the musicians do what he wants them to do.

EP, Noori, Karavan all sounded so bad because the totally changed their sound to POP as forced by Rohail Hyat.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Thulasi Kakkat said...

Great Performance, Thanks a lot.

Love,
Thulasi Kakkat

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your blog on recording. Like the new single. Best of luck from Long Beach, CA

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home