Monday, March 19, 2007

Bob Woolmer passes away

This post was originally going to be about our gig on Sunday and how awesome it was. But while we were celebrating a personal triumph last night, the death of Bob Woolmer came as a huge shock to everyone. This morning as I read the various tributes and obituaries I felt tears welling up. Here was a man who was so passionate about this wonderful game called cricket. At the end of the day thats all it is, a game, but here we are crushing the soul of our cricketers and their coaches with our frenzied responses to every game. It hit me hard when I realized how trivial all of it was.
It is an unshakeable guilt I feel as a Pakistan supporter. There is no way to prove this, but he was under some abnormal stress for this to have happened. The prospect of coming to Pakistan and to be attacked must have been too much for a man who was such a gentle soul.

I feel guilt because just hours before, my friends and I had been joking that we would go to the airport to pelt fruit at the Pakistan team. I know that while we were joking, thousands of people weren't.

Despite everything, the one man I never doubted in this entire cricket fiasco was Bob Woolmer. He had the most difficult job in the world but he did it with dignity and humility. Our ex-cricketers villified him in the press and our current cricketers physically fought with him. Our crowds burnt effigies of him and his team consistently embarassed him and let him down. But the man never once said anything about Pakistan or Pakistanis. And I will remember him with the utmost respect and affection.

God bless your soul Bob Woolmer, we were not worthy of your commitment.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Khizzy said...

you've voiced my thoughts exactly.
poor man.i hate to think of the circumstances he died in, the stress, tension, and fear ofthe impending onslaught of the pak supporter's anger.
:(

9:29 AM  
Blogger billu said...

well put, bro.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Jasim said...

CB is facing setbacks after the worldcup... Voice of bob alway's use to be ignored on the feild,Senior players like inzi,younis come up with own stragety and in the end coach was held resposible and was force to confront the media ..match against Ireland turn many hearts down and resulted loss of life ..

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home