Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Happy New Year !

Happy New Year my loyal blog followers (all three of you). I sincerely hope 2009 is going to be a great one for all of us. I know I've got big things planned for ADP this year. To be precise, this is the year I really want us to make it. I think it'll be my last chance at success and if we're still stuck at the same level we are now at the end of 2009, I don't think I'll have the energy to continue.

Not that this should be a pessimistic note, I just feel I have to set goals. I'm also aware that being really successful takes time and while it may seem like it, nobody with lasting success becomes an overnight sensation. I don't want us to be another Raeth where we just kinda arrive really quickly and fizzle out. I want to prove to the music industry that ROCK BANDS, not one-hit video performers or pop artists can make it here and still sell something without compromising their art. I also want to send out a message to other young rock bands out there that there are no shortcuts. You have to build a following, not just hope that one video will get you acclaim. Nothing ever worth having came easy. So I'm grateful to finally accept and enjoy the struggle.

I'm grateful for a lot of things. I know Aunty Disco Project isn't there yet. But I'm proud of the things we've achieved. I'm proud that we're still trying. I'm proud of being an entertainer. But most of all I'm proud to be on the stage with the other guys on the band. I know that even if we'll never make it big, for me it'll always be about playing in a room with the guys.

I know that some journalists might think that my stage act is exactly that, an act, but if they ever saw us practice, they would know I get just as worked up and excited in rehearsals. It doesn't matter how many times we've played, how big or small the audience or the venue, I still get a tingle in my spine when OK crashes the cymbals and launches the intro to "Sultanat" with a mighty boom on the bass drum.

Anyway, just to put things in perspective, here's a recap of the best and worst moments for ADP in 2008.


Worst Moments:

1) Imran leaving. We lost our founding member and brother. There was a huge hole in our lineup and we really had no idea where we were going to go from there.

2) Playing the "World Music Festival" at the Arts Council in June. As the headlining act we went on last after 12 bands. Except everything got delayed. We took the stage at 11:30 pm. Nobody stayed to watch except a handful of die hard fans. The drum kit we rented broke its front skin. And we were pissed off and moody. Never again.

3) Being shoved aside by the chootia Play TV camera crew to make way because fucking Shehzad Roy was making his way to the stage after we had played.

4) My leather pants ripping from the crotch as I bent down to put my shoes on, moments before the Forum show. They are irreparable. And so is my heart.

5) The PACC show opening for Munchkins. Horrible sound. Bad vibes. Semi-hostile partisan crowd. We tried our best, but we still ended up being being below our usual. I felt mortified after the show.

6) Television interview on AAG TV's show "3 to 5". Yasir and I were bored out of our minds with this mind numbingly stupid show. It's almost embarassing to watch the footage because I look very clearly not interested in answering any of the inane questions.

Best Moments:


1) Making the video for "Nazar". One of the most fun things we've ever done. And watching people's reaction after we launched the video felt like a re-birth for ADP. Finally a video we could be proud of. The outpouring of love and support from our fans who had been waiting for us to put out something awesome was humbling and worth every bit of work we've ever done.

2) Our first show with Ali Alam. We played a tiny show at Indus Valley. The crowd was a small group, but we played out of our skins and put on an amazing performance that was the best thing that could have happened to me at a personally low moment.

3) Us getting our first proper drumkit. After a year of playing on a worn out beaten up kit that sounded like complete shit, and an additional 2 years of playing on a kit that we stole from somebody, and renting a kit for 5000 bucks for every show, OK finally saved up enough money to get an awesome sounding, shiny new TAMA kit. We're a real band now!

4) Playing an impromptu ADP show for OK's engagement party. Yes OK got engaged. Sorry girls :) (Separate post later).

5) Playing at PMC, for Play TV, in the middle of Park Towers mall. A huge and enthusiastic crowd saw us perform, even though it was an acoustic set, it was one of the most loud and raucous shows we did. I'll never forget the feeling of performing "Nazar' and not being able to hear myself because the audience was singing along so loud.

6) Playing the Forum show with Zeb and Haniya. we got to share the stage with our favorite artists and friends and put on a killer show, our first one since I got back from Hong Kong after 2 months. We also debuted our brand new song "Mujhey Sahara Do" and the crowd loved it.


Anyway. I'll try not to be as soppy in my next post. In the mean time, much love to everyone who stuck by us in 2008. We hope we'll deliver on your expectations in 2009 :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Tazeen said...

leather pants that were so tight that they ripped !!!

I thought only Mick Jagger wore such leather contraptions !!!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Khizzy said...

OK's engagement was not impromtu.
and i know it.


mainly because you told me about it a week before.lol.

2:49 AM  
Blogger for every reaction.... said...

Hey....a lot of people read your blog(not just 3)...one question though,why the name 'aunty disco project'?
and trust in 2009 you better make it to India and we'll all make your show HUGE here ...
keep rocking!

7:15 AM  
Anonymous laila said...

"My leather pants ripping from the crotch as I bent down to put my shoes on, moments before the Forum show. They are irreparable. And so is my heart"
Aw. I am deeply saddened by this revelation. I have been there also, not exactly ripping beloved leather pants at the crotch, but..still...
Yes, please, having 500 people worship you is muuuch cooler than 100,000 think you're 'hawt' for six months.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home